Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Vampire Needs To Go.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said that "Language is the building in which every human being brought a stone" But I'm pretty confident Waldo didn't intend for those humans to be undead. Thanks to men like Emerson we the people can enjoy what literature has to offer. 
But sadly, the definition of literature has become undefined.
 Apart from the required AP novels, I tend to find myself wandering through the teen section of Chapter's more often than I should. These books have advanced slightly, the days of "Babysitter Club" and Goosebumps" have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Unfourtunately they seem to have been replaced by a certain blood-sucking theme. When was the last time a book character actually died, sans being undead and what's that? Sparkles? Think about it. What direction are we headed when orginality means the implimentation of werewolves instead of just vampires?
For those authors out there, feel free to spice it up, even just a little bit. I trust you can come up with something, anything that doesn't revolve around dystopia.
The classics are the way to go, I mean if they were good two hundred years ago, they're good today. In my opinion, Heathcliff could take Edward any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment